- a reverse-proxy: it passes requests from client browsers to one or more back-end servers.
- a load balancer: it will distribute the requests from the client browsers among several back-end servers, while keeping session information.
- an SSL wrapper: Pound will decrypt HTTPS requests from client browsers and pass them as plain HTTP to the back-end servers.
- an HTTP/HTTPS sanitizer: Pound will verify requests for correctness and accept only well-formed ones.
- a fail over-server: should a back-end server fail, Pound will take note of the fact and stop passing requests to it until it recovers.
- a request redirector: requests may be distributed among servers according to the requested URL.