We are getting reports of the failures from computers more often from Europe. Those computers usually have just booted up within the first hour of work. When the computer hangs, the mouse is frozen and the computer will not respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Here are some of the steps we needed to take to capture a full memory dump using a keyboard command. There are good articles on each step but I didn't find any articles that put them all together.
- Make sure the workstation is able to capture a full memory dump
- Paging file needs to be bigger than the size of the RAM by at least 100 MB
- Stop automatic reboots. This should ensure that the dump is written before rebooting.
- Make sure to do a complete memory dump
- Set the computer to NMICrashDump to capture hardware failures in a BSOD
- Set the computer to crash on keyboard command
- There are two keys to worry about depending on USB keyboard or PS/2 keyboads