When you unpack the Adaptec driver, install it using the command line ("install.bat x86" for Windows 95-2000 and "install.bat xp32" for XP)
Then when you start cdrfe.exe, change the settings to use the ASPI driver located under the second tab from the left. The default is to use "Auto" which may work.
I wasn't able to get cdrecord.exe to work with ASPI but I found the group policy that can tweak SPTI permissions to allow local users to run cdrecord.exe.
FAQ - ImgBurn Support Forum
1. Log in as an Administrator
2. Click 'Start' -> 'Run'
3. Type 'secpol.msc' and hit OK
4. Expand 'Local Policies'
5. Click 'Security Options'
6. Change 'Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only' from 'Disabled' to 'Enabled'
7. Close the 'Local Security Settings' window
8. Log on as your restricted user and try again.