Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:0840 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express
Bug #196811 - Comment #32
Sebastian Keller wrote on 2008-10-08: (permalink)
I built the driver this way:
1. install "build-essential" and make sure you have the current linux-headers package installed.
2. get the qc-usb source used by ubuntu from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-intrepid.git;a=snapshot;h=af08ea6e38e756093ada807ed79ca409afd7c174;sf=tgz and extract it on the desktop
3. get the original qc-usb source from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/qce-ga/qc-usb-0.6.6.tar.gz?modtime=1162648367&big_mirror=0 and extract only "Makefile" and copy this Makefile over the one from the ubuntu version
4. get http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17739608/quickcam_parent.patch and store it on your desktop
5. get http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17601962/quickcam_type.patch and store it on your desktop
6. open terminal and "cd ~/Desktop/ubuntu-intrepid/"
7. patch -p3 < ../quickcam_parent.patch
8. patch -p3 < ../quickcam_type.patch
9. make quickcam.ko
10. sudo cp quickcam.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/ubuntu/qc-usb/
11. make sure the old version of the module is not loaded by checking "lsmod | grep quickcam" and then plug in your camera
12. start cheese
The problem you had about something being undefined is because of a change in the kernel, that the qc-usb source in the ubuntu tree got adapted to, but the one on sf.net not.