Wednesday, March 23, 2011

SCCM 2007 Notes

SCCM 2007 was migrated to new hardware correctly. I did have a number of issues with Active Directory and Local Computer Group permissions that had to be fixed but all-in-all the migration worked.

I found out in the process of migrating and trying to troubleshoot SCCM errors related to the migration that I was able to solve a couple of problems that we apparently had on the old server. The first issue was with WSUS SP2. I have used WSUS for a long time and tried keeping the database by upgrading through the different service packs and releases. Apparently, the database became out-of-sync with the correct version and needed to be replaced.

We also started getting an error "SMS WSUS Synchronization failed. Message: The operation has timed out." and it looks like the advise listed below should work by clearing out the existing software update entries.

Software updates not working after changing the central parent (all expired)


  • [HYT00][0][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
    This error is indicative of an issue with connectivity to the WSUS database and not any type of error downloading the update from the internet. You should check on the health of your SQL Server instance as well as the SUSDB database. Make sure permissions are also in tact and that the SPN still exists if using a remote SQL Server which is not running as local SYSTEM.
    i logged onto my WSUS db and everything seemed fine. so i completely uninstalled WSUS from the central site (deleted the SUSDB database mbd file, and all downloaded updates) and reinstalled. no luck, still getting the same error
  • Monday, December 06, 2010 11:51 PMomniwolfUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals
    It seems related to a known issue. Please backup your database and run the following SQL Command on your Site server:
    Delete from CI_ConfigurationItems Where CIType_ID in (1, 6, 8);
    Update CI_SDMPackages set IsDeleted = 1 where SourceSite = ;
    Exec sp_DeleteOldSDMPackageData 0;
    It will clear out the esisting software update entries.
    Hope it helps.

    i will give this a try, thanks!